Fuel costs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel costs

...just went to near $6 (self-serve) and $6.15 from the truck at PAO. Outlying airports still have self-serve nearer $5 but it's hard to justify a special stop unless I'd clearly save $50 or more.

An annoyance for sure, although it's only 1/4 - 1/3 the total cost of flying...sort of. The problem is that energy cost increases are among the least resistible of inflationary forces, at least until compensating efficiencies are invented and adopted. Thus I fully expect labor and parts costs to escalate as well.

I hope the Swiftfuel and G100UL guys can make some headway. Even more important than the lead-related issues, these fuels or others like them could have broader use (think high performance auto or boat racing) and would not need the segregated storage and delivery infrastructure--for a tiny market!--required by 100LL. This could at least temper future cost increases.

A really sad thing is that we tend to underestimate how many GA pilots fly even though they can just barely afford it. When we experience rapid cost increases like those currently underway, many suspend flying at least temporarily or opt out altogether. This ripples through a fragile GA infrastructure as lost demand for products and services, resulting in business closures, loss of competition, etc. Hard to see a positive aspect to all of this.

One can hope the oil price bubble will burst to at least some degree like it did a couple of years ago.
    Kevin Moore
    Former 260se/stol Katmai with BRS owner; planeless for now
    sigpic

Fuel Prices

A friend just showed me that at KTEB, 100LL is $9.27 a gallon! That definitely will make you second guess flying these planes for fun. Like the housing industry, this is just another big bubble waiting to burst. So hang on!

Comment

UK Fuel prices

Just to make you feel better, in the UK 100LL costs the equivalent of $11.30 per US gallon. You can bet my KK is flown LOP whenever possible.
      You would think everyone would want a diesel burning Jet A1 in Europe but the reliability and the Theilart problems have put the industry off for now. I hope TCM make some JET A1 burner headway now they have some Chinese cash to spend.
      Ian

Comment

Avgas - oil price disconnect: why?

Avgas just went to $6.35 from the truck and $6.12 self-serve at PAO, IIRC this is an all-time high. Yet...the price of oil is down >20% from its recent peak near $110 in the spring and just over half of its all-time high near $140 in early 2008. Meanwhile auto fuel is roughly paralleling oil, with a bit of a lag as one would expect. What gives here?
        Kevin Moore
        Former 260se/stol Katmai with BRS owner; planeless for now
        sigpic

Comment

I was wondering the same thing

I had the same thoughts a few days ago. Oil has dropped $30 a barrel in the last 6 months, but Jet A and 100LL hasn't done much. You need to buy a Jet A burning airplane for a month or two, then your fill ups won't bug you as much...

Comment

Working...
          X