Does the canard move / articulate???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does the canard move / articulate???

Hi all. I have been researching the Katmai 182 for some time. I am thoroughly impressed. I hope to get to HQ this spring (Todd, please consider this a poor electronic introduction!).

The one thing I can't figure out is whether or not the canard moves at all. Does it?!?! Is the canard fixed or does it move? Is it linked to the control wheel? the flaps?

Many thanks for solving this mystery.

Cheers!

Originally posted by ashook View Post
    Is the canard fixed or does it move? Is it linked to the control wheel? the flaps?
    The aft surface of the canard has a range of travel from about 7 degrees down to 1 degree up. It is interconnected with the elevator and moves in response to pilot yoke inputs--its function is transparent to the pilot and requires no additional controls in the cockpit nor unconventional control movements.

When the pilot commands a pitch up, the elevator of course deflects upward (tail down) and the canard aft surface simultaneously deflects downward to provide a nose-up force.

Similarly when the pilot pushes on the yoke the elevator deflects downward (tail up) and the canard aft surface returns to neutral or slightly upward, providing some nose-down force.

I think some of Todd's instructional videos show how the canard responds to yoke movements.
    Kevin Moore
    Former 260se/stol Katmai with BRS owner; planeless for now
    sigpic

Comment

Thanks

Kevin,

Thank you very much for the informative response. I appreciate it greatly.

FWIW, this forum / owner-builder community is absolutely fabulous. Todd and Jo / PPP are shining examples of true excellence in execution of American entrepreneurship.

Thanks again.

Kind Regards,
      -Andrew

Comment

Working...
      X